H. Dietrich Gleichmann:
The Herdorf-Dermbach mine, Hüttenwäldchen
The little iron ore mine in the Siegerland
In the middle of the 1990s, Mineralien- und Bergbaufreunde Herdorf e. V., an association of the friends of Herdorf, began to uncover a small branch of a structure, whose surface was only exposed on the hill slope next to the road running from Struthütten to Dermbach. This structure had formerly been preserved for the deep gallery of the Hüttenwäldchen mine. The association hoped that they would then gain access to the mine workings hidden behind this structure. To their complete surprise, they discovered the equipment of a machinery shaft which had been used in the early years of industrial mining, the mid-nineteeth century, in many iron ore mines in the Siegerland. The relict from this time was a valuable industrial monument.
The article reconstructs the history of the Hüttenwäldchen mine. Starting with an outline of the deposits, it goes on to describe early commercial drift mining operations. Around the middle of the 19th century, the mine changed over to deep-cast mining and, after a non-productive period in the 1870/80s, experienced a renaiissance around 1900. In the second part of the article, the circumstances surrounding the driving and designing of the machinery shaft and its technical equipment are explained.