The copper slate mining year at Mansfeld and its highlights
In copper slate mining in Mansfeld, too, people lived and worked on the basis of mining regulations. The enfranchisement certificate dated 28 April 1671 was followed already in May of the same year by new mining regulations that were made law through confirmation by the supreme feudal lord on 28 October 1673, which was available in print in 1674. According to Article 30 it was ordered, among other things, that "every thirteen weeks for all operational accounts a quarter is to be closed, and the 'ember days have to begin with the new month of January". Each week began, in agreement with the civil calendar, on Sunday and ended on Saturday.
The weekly cycle and the four mining quarters were important stages of life for the miners. According to general custom, the mining quarters were called Reminiscere, Trinitatis, Crucis and Luciae, and comprised as a rule a period of thirteen weeks. They continued to be used in the nineteenth century in all the records of Mansfeld copper slate mining. In the system of technical drawings for the areas of the mines that were exploited, these designations for the quarters were normally used up until December 1929. The article follows the calculations and calendar reforms for determining the mining year as well as the periods derived from them and the special feast days and holidays, using Mansfeld copper slate mining as an example.