Björn Ivar Berg:
The Mining Seminar in Kongsberg, Norway (1757-1814)
During the eighteenth century, European mining and metallurgy were closely linked to the active Absolutist State. Several European states were engaged in the development of these industries by enhancing the use of professional knowledge and by stimulating the teaching and application of the mining sciences. The institutionalisation of education was an important issue.
Such efforts were carried out also in the Kingdom of Norway, which from 1536 to 1814 was under the Danish crown. With its foundation by a Royal resolution of September 19th 1757 the Mining Seminar in Kongsberg became one of the earliest institutions for higher education in mining and metallurgy in Europe. The Mining Seminar was reorganised 1786 with the recently established Central European mining academies as models, and was given a better structure with comprehensive teaching plans, a graduation arrangement and new buildings.
After closing the Mining Seminar in 1814 the education of mining engineers was transferred to the University of Oslo and from 1910 to the Technical High School in Trondheim, now a part of The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Thus we may celebrate 250 years of higher education in science and technology in Norway. The beautiful buildings from 1786 belong to the Norwegian Mining Museum since 2005.